One of my kids said Taco's Mommy and I said YA, Taco's wonderful idea!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red and green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (see Tip) or frozen, thawed
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain brown rice (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black, kidney or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup home made or prepared salsa
- 1/3 cup home made or prepared guacamole
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, peppers and corn; cook, stirring, until the onion begins to brown and peppers soften, about 5 minutes. Coarsely chop 1 tomato. Add it to the pan along with rice, beans, chili powder, 1 teaspoon oregano and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato cooks down, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the remaining 3 tomatoes. Combine with cilantro, salsa and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oregano in a medium bowl.
- Toss lettuce in a large bowl with the bean mixture, half the fresh salsa, half the guacamole and 2/3 cup cheese. Serve sprinkled with tortilla chips and the remaining cheese, passing lime wedges and the remaining fresh salsa and guacamole at the table.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat slightly before serving.
- Kitchen Tips: To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear of corn on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp, knife.
- To cook rice, bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Makes 1 1/2 cups
- Substitutions: replace guacamole with a sliced a fresh avocado over salad, it makes for a nice presentation.